Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Willow harvest delayed by more snow

Finally last week-end most of the snow had disappeared in the field and we could begin this year's willow harvest.
We managed to harvest about 20% of the rods. Monday and Tuesday I cut a bit more, finished bundeling the rods in the field. By Tuesday  the field was dry enough for me to drive the lawn tractor with my little wagon behind to pick the budles up and take them home.

Then Wednesday morning I woke up to about 10 cm of snow!! And as if that was not enough, it continued on and off all day and by night we have double of that with some drifts as deep as 40 cm - as in the driveway :-)

The next week or so will be cold but sunny and I can only wait..........till it is all gone again - and hope........that I will have time enough to harvest all the willow before it starts growing again.

The bundles look very nice in the snow though and stacked behind the barn waiting to be sorted in bundles with different sizes.






If there is anything good about the snow at this time of the year - yes, they say it is spring and we have changed to "Daylight savings time" - it is the fact that I can let the dogs out without  getting two very dirty, mud dragging boys in the house. Oh well, I tried!!



Words and photos by Lene Rasmussen,Willows.

12 comments:

  1. It looks great with all the different colors a willow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely colors in rods , greeting from Belgium, here finnish snow, sun pappeaed, flowers's spring

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice with the new harvested willow. I love the colours. I do hope, that you will be abel to harvest the rest, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birgitte, the willow is so beautiful with all the winter colours.
    Lene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Retriever, I wish that we will be finished with the snow soon too.
    Lene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne, I really hope to be able to harvest VERY SOON, too. This week it is cold, night temps at -12, days around freezing and sunshine, so the snow melts very slowly. Today I was able to get a few plants cut - a few spots I had to remove the snow first.
    Lene

    ReplyDelete
  7. (Came from "Madame") -> Willow in these colors are nice and fast growing, and a healthy though greedy so that not much else can grow under a willow - which actually can be used to drain a wet area. I use some of them in the lowest part of the garden, but I should have found a red or yellow one. My is just green :)

    I like the pictures and couldn't help comment. I think you are from Denmark and I wonder how it was living "over there" - apparently not much different with respect to willows :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Donald, thank you for your comment - in English - eller på dansk, hvordan du nu foretrækker det.
    Jeg har en dansk blog " I Danmark er jeg født", hvis du har lyst til at læse lidt engang imellem om, hvordan det er at bo her. Der er en link til den nedenfor boksen med Facebook page i den venstre margin.
    Lene

    ReplyDelete
  9. the colours are all so very lovely. I hope this winter weather moves on very soon. I don't remember it being this cold or snowy so late in March. Thankfully, today was not half-bad for getting some garden clean-up done. Maybe you were out harvesting?
    irena

    ReplyDelete
  10. They do look nicely contrasted in the snow! Im sure you are well over admiring that though

    ReplyDelete
  11. Irena, it just seemed to be going on and on....., but we finally got everything harvested by Saturday. Now we are ready for spring!
    Lene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stone Art the willow did look verynice in the snow, but - you're right - enough! As the snow slowly disappeared we could harvest different sections and finally now we are finished.
    Lene

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers - your comments are much appreciated.