Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bit off more than I can chew---

------hope not, but that is how I often feel these days!

After a loooong winter the grounds around here were wet, cold, and not workable until mid May by which time the weeds were far into the race to reach maximum height before the end of the month.

It is really not that I have been lazy (haven't even had time to enjoy most of my favourite blogs the past couple of weeks) - things just seem to all of a sudden to have gotten out of hand.

Think of myself as a pro-active person - at least during "normal" times - the gardening chores these days, however, have my mind and body jumping from one to the other, depending on which one appears to be most critical. It's like damage control - do I let the weeds take over totally while I get the veggie garden in order? - or do I spend my time on the jobs with the biggest impact letting my seedlings suffer as they need larger containers? - do I get my perennial beds ready for transplant of my seedlings (most of which will not bloom till next year) ignoring planning and planting the multiple containers that should be focal points on our new deck by the time we'll have about 100 guests here late July?

Happily I finished planting and sowing the veggie garden today. My tiny basil plants along with tarragon, parsley, rosemary, and the "perennials" sage, oregano, thyme, and chives in the raised bed.

The potatoes were sown 2 weeks ago and are showing some healthy leaves.
The willows in the field are doing great. Looks like almost 100% of this year's plantings are growing well and not - so far - any signs of deer stopping by for munchies.
I'll have to make some kind of "project plan": Lene's 2009 garden, step by step to stay focused (pro-active if possible) and save my sanity.

6 comments:

  1. Your new willow patch looks great! I tried planting some here a few years ago, but they are not doing well at all, think it's too cold for them up here in northern Minnesota at Zone 3. In the winters we get -50 degrees sometimes and that can't be good for the cultured willow patches. Wild willow and diamond willow grow well here, however. How cold does it get in your "neck of the woods"?
    The Wicker Woman-Cathryn Peters
    http://wickerwoman.blogspot.com
    http://www.WickerWoman.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathryn, thanks!
    We are in a Canadian hardiness Zone 5b so not nearly as cold as your area. I am sure though that some of the cultured varieties would be able to do well there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salix,

    Your post belies your comment that you are in too deep! The beautiful photos are proof of some good solid progress, the slide show is a great addition to your blog and I like the way you have arranged the photos in their growing progression.

    To Cathryn - there are cultured varieties which are tolerant of extreme conditions. Salix - would you describe growing conditions in Denmark as extreme? Which varieties do well there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weaving Willow, thank you for your comment to the changes I made to the blog.
    No, I would not describe growing conditions in Denmark as extreme. The climate is more like the UK - not quite though, but the Golf Stream has a huge impact on temperatures, so although Denmark is much further North than here winters are generally much milder and summers not as hot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lene: I know very well how you feel, but from your pictures, it all looks very good! Especially your willow plantings, and your new veg patch.

    I dealt with my own problems of feeling overwhelmed by dropping the vegetable gardens. Now I just grow a few tomatoes, but it makes sense since there are just two of us, and there is a market gardener growing more vegetables than he can sell right down the road from us. However, it did take me a few years to make that decision because I loved harvesting from the garden, but when something had to go, that was the easiest to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yvonne. That's just it: I want it all! I'll have to make some choices in the future, like you did. I am beginning to realize that.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers - your comments are much appreciated.